Today really seemed like it was going to be a regular day. And most of it was. I did some chores around the house. At 730 I went to see the high school band and orchestra concert, and afterward I visited Eli and a bunch of my old friends backstage. Madi got into my college on Early Action, so now all I have to do is work on convincing her. That was a nice piece of news to break up this very irregular evening.
Just before the concert, Riker experienced a car accident as Papa was backing into the driveway. He's been sick several times and is unnaturally old for a cat, so it's a bit uplifting to know he probably experienced a minimum of pain and went out quickly. He's been going deaf for years, so he probably didn't even hear it coming.
The family is quiet now. We managed to make it through the concert, but now it's a somber mood around here. I don't think I've ever seen Papa cry until now. He felt responsible, even though he knows it was an accident. Mama has been in tears a couple of times since the incident. And I've certainly never seen Eli experience grief like this. He's usually the guy full of witty retorts and humor, so he's certainly out of his element. I cried a bit, but I'm still processing the event. Tomorrow, Papa and I will bury Riker in the backyard.
For now, life keeps happening for us, and for everybody. I have some leftover online submission homework, and it isn't just going to stop to let me catch up. It'll be weird not having to check the couch for a little orange furry creature, but I suppose we'll just have to get used to it after a while.
Aww I'm sorry Al :(
ReplyDeleteI'm working on convincing your friend! My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
ReplyDelete